Below The Deep Dark Waters

As I am standing on the deck of the Island Princess cruise ship watching the glaciers before my eyes, I turn to my husband and say “We are like glaciers and icebergs.” He continued to take in the majestic sight of that enormous chunk of ice as I finished my thought, “We all show what we want others to see on the surface but our lives go so much deeper, just like the iceberg hidden under the water.”

According to Wikipedia; An iceberg or ice mountain is a large piece of freshwater ice that has broken off a glacier or an ice shelf and is floating freely in open water. Almost 91% of an iceberg is below the surface of the water.

Exclusive Private Facebook Group

How can we help you?

Find out more information about our

exclusive private Facebook group.

Also according to Wikipedia; A glacier is a persistent body of dense ice that is constantly moving under its own weight; it forms where the accumulation of snow exceeds its ablation (melting and sublimation) over many years, often centuries.

The iceberg that is above the water and we can see is only 9%, and 91% of the iceberg is tucked away out of sight. If we are like an iceberg, then that means we only show 9% of our lives to others

As I sit here and write this post, I look around my home. There are only a select few who know how I live. I am a private person. I only invite people into my home that are my close friends. And if I do invite others I make sure my house is spotless to show off the best part of me.

I believe it is the same with most people in this world. You will always try to make the best first impression. You want people to think you have an organized well put together life. You want them to believe you have all of your problems lined out and put on a shelf to quickly solve.

It isn’t wrong to do that. You don’t want to tell the world when you can’t cope with a situation. You only want the people closest to you to know when you fall apart.

When life has its claws digging into you, you don’t want others to form an opinion of you based on how you handle that tiger.

So why do you judge others for what you think is going on in their life? You can only see 9% of what they are going through how can you know who they are?

It would be impossible to know what will happen in a book if you only read 9% and leave the other 91% unread. It would be a very confusing and unsatisfying story. To make an ending to the beginning, you start making things up to finish the story.

We judge other people based on the story we have made up for their lives. We fill in the blanks as we see it through our paradigm.

But most of all as I have said before, we do not know what other people have suffered. We don’t know how their life has treated them. Let us all have empathy and understanding for we are the same as they are. We only show 9% and reserve the 91% for special people in our lives.

If another person wants to share with you that part of their life that has been tucked away then consider yourself trustworthy. They are showing you hidden beauty that lurks deep beneath the dark waters.  Keep that trust with you hold it and cherish it.




Leave a Comment

Inspiration For Life is supported by its readers. When you click on a link on our site, we may earn a commission.
I’m LauraBe Inspired Weekly with Poems & Quotes for Growth

Join over 5,000 others and receive my weekly inspirational newsletter.